Australian High Commission

Visas and Citizenship

Visa and citizenship enquiries

Please do not call the Australian High Commission with visa or citizenship enquiries.

The Australian High Commission does not respond to enquiries about visas, citizenship, or provide visa application updates. Staff at the Australian High Commission are unable to give you advice about how to apply for an Australian visa.

If you have missed a phone call from the Australian High Commission, please do not attempt to call back. We will get in touch with you to reschedule a call.  

If you are looking to contact the Department of Home Affairs about your visa application, go to contact us for information on how to direct your query.

If you have a complex issue or cannot find the information you need on the Department of Home Affairs’ website, you can call the Global Service Centre (GSC) on +61 2 6196 0196. The GSC is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm AEST. Have your documents ready to e​stablish your identity.

General visa and citizenship information

The Department of Home Affairs does not provide migration advice and cannot assist you with selecting an appropriate visa. Go to Visa Finder for more information on what visa might be best for your situation.

If you need assistance with applying for a visa, you may wish to engage a registered migration agent. More information is available on the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority website.

You can apply online for most Australian visas and citizenship through ImmiAccount. You can also log on to your ImmiAccount to check the status of your visa application.

If you already hold a visa you can check your visa status and entitlements through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online system.

Go to global visa processing times to find out more information about the current processing times for visas. The Department of Home Affairs will not respond to progress enquiries if your visa application is within global visa processing times.

Go to changes in your circumstances if your situation has changed or is about to change, and you need to tell the Department of Home Affairs because your visa might be affected.

If you have feedback for the Department of Home Affairs you can go to the compliments, complaints and suggestions online form to provide.

If you are seeking information on citizenship by descent for your child, please consult the Home Affairs website on how to become a citizen by descent.

Refugee and Humanitarian program

If you live outside Australia and need humanitarian protection, you may have options to resettle in Australia.

If you are outside Australia, you can find further information about how to resettle in Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website.

You can apply for a Refugee and Humanitarian (Class XB) visa by completing a Form 842 and sending your application to the nearest immigration office outside Australia.

ImmiCard collection

An ImmiCard is issued to certain visa holders who don’t have and can’t obtain a passport recognised by the Australian Government.

If you have been issued with an ImmiCard you can email the International Organization for Migration (IOM) mission, Islamabad to arrange collection. In some circumstances you will be contacted directly by the Australian High Commission to arrange collection.

Biometrics collection

You no longer need to book an appointment to provide your biometrics in Pakistan as part of your Australian visa application.

Remember to bring your photographic identification, passport, and the biometrics letter issued by the Department of Home Affairs with you for speedy service. 

You can find the location of your nearest Australia Biometrics Collection Centre, by going to the VFS Global website.

Entering and leaving Australia

Go to the entering and leaving Australia for further information on security, quarantine, health or customs requirements.

Protect yourself from immigration scams

If you are planning on getting a visa to come to Australia, watch out for immigration scammers who may steal your money or submit bogus documents or false claims as part of your visa application. Your visa agent or other third party is breaking the law if they advise you to do this.

Be aware that providing false or misleading information in a visa application could lead to your visa application being refused. The Department of Home Affairs might not grant you a visa for three years if you, or a member of your family unit, has a visa refused due to providing bogus documents or false information.

Do your own research to make sure you are aware of the costs and requirements for the visa.

You are not required to use a visa agent to apply for a visa. You can apply for a visa on your own using information on the Department of Home Affairs’ website.

Report illegal activity

If you wish to report suspicious or illegal immigration, visa, customs and trade activity you can submit the information to the Department of Home Affairs anonymously by completing this form.

Intentionally providing false or misleading information to Border Watch is a serious offence.